Warning: This post is about sewing.
Way back in September before the Polar Vortex entered our lexicon I started a little project called “Emily’s Winter Coat”
Fast forward to March and I am finished!
I am a novice sewer and I took a big leap of faith or overestimated my abilities and decided to take on this challenge and a challenge it was.
This darling little coat was my pinsperation.
I bought the pattern off of Etsy.
The package said “Easy”. Easy for a professional I’m sure.
There was A LOT to learn and I didn’t want to mess this up so I took my time.
I took my time choosing the fabric, reading the instructions and pattern, reading my sewing book, reading sewing blogs and watching you tube videos for each and every step.
I also thought that once I had a sewing machine I wouldn’t have to sew by hand ever again. I never sewed by hand more!
I ran into trouble here and there and had to use seam ripper more than once through out this project. I also used up A LOT of thread.
I struggled with the hood and had to redo it. I ended up not doing the top stitch as the pattern recommended because I don’t think my lines are straight enough.
I had a real hard time reading the pattern when it came to the cuffs. I just didn’t and still don’t understand the pattern picture…
I still don’t understand how the right side of the lining can show but the both sides of the fabric can show too. I just sewed to what I thought the picture on the right was calling for.
Then it was time to do the sleeves. I thought I did as I was supposed to, but then found out that I finished them too soon so I never ended up “tacking” them. oops.
Then when it came time for this last step I had NO IDEA what I was looking at so I improvised.
The last piece of the puzzle were the buttons. I had to learn how to use the button attachment on my sewing machine and was so impressed with how easy it was to create button holes…on sample fabric. When I tried it on my coat, the fabric was too thick and wouldn’t move. I was so frustrated but determined to finish this coat so Emily could wear at least ONCE while it was still cold. After midnight, and one rerun of Criminal Minds and one episode CSI Miami (that show is ridiculous) and then some sort of tabloid show, I finally decided to change the orientation of the buttons and moved the fabric myself. It worked! Then I had to hand sew the buttons on.
Then I was done. HOORAY!!!
Here is the final product. I am quite proud.
I came across several helpful sewing blogs while learning how to make this coat.
It took me a long time, but it was well worth it. I learned so much during this process that I am very confident that the next sewing project involving a pattern will only take 6 weeks instead of 6 months.
I hope I inspired someone and remember…If I can do it, you can do it better.
Much love Chicas!